I am LOVING the colorful “unicorn food craze” that has made a splash on social media over the past few months! Having fun with food while showing off its natural God-created beauty is something I’ve grown to love so, so much (especially after a few years of my side hustle helping with a catering/restaurant business) – plus, what’s more fun than pink & purple GF toast?!
When Starbucks’ sparkly Unicorn Frappe broke the internet earlier this week, I was pumped to recreate a healthier, all natural version of the swirled pink/blue beauty… and I couldn’t be more thrilled with the tasty (and beautiful! and colorful!) results. Don’t let all the ingredients be a downer… it’s really easy once you throw everything in a blender – promise.
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the Pink:
– 1 cup of unsweetened almond or coconut milk*
– 1 frozen banana
– 1 cup of frozen raspberries
– 1/2 to 1 whole steamed beet (You can buy steamed beets at Trader Joes in the produce section if you don’t want to make your own… I make steamed beets almost every week to use in my salads, so I almost always have them on hand)
– 2-3 ice cubes
– 1 scoop of collagen peptides **
– 2-3 pieces of steamed then frozen cauliflower** (You can skip the steamed part if you’d like and just use frozen… I typically steam mine first, then freeze for smoothies)
– 1 TBSP of organic virgin coconut oil**
– One scoop of unsweetened protein of your choice**
– If you like things sweeter, you could always add 1/2 TBSP or 1 TBSP of organic pure maple syrup**
**All of these ingredients are optional, but definitely add extra punch & power (plus you can’t even taste the cauliflower – for reals.)
– 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond or coconut milk*,
– 1/4 of a frozen avocado
– 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
– 1/4 cup of frozen blackberries
– 1 TBSP of Spirulina (this is what’s going to give it the blueish/green color)**
– 2 ice cubes
*I used homemade almond milk, but my favorite brand of store bought almond milk is Califia Farms (unsweetened vanilla is perfect); if you use coconut milk, I would use organic canned, full fat (Native Forest or Thai Kitchen if I cannot find Native Forest)… be sure to shake well!
** The color of the green/blue changes quickly as the mixture sits, I had my drink on the counter for a while after creating my first batch and I think it went through 8-9 shades in an hour!
For the Coconut Whipped Cream Topping:
(The topping is definitely optional, but makes it yummier!)
– One can of organic full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight, or for at least 7-8 hours
– 1/2 TBSP to 1 TBSP of organic pure maple syrup (this is optional – I didn’t do this, but if you want sweet cream you can)
WHAT YOU DO:
(1) Combine all of the ingredients needed for the PINK and blend on high, until smooth
(I use a Vitamix and LOVE it); pour into a glass
(2) Rinse out your blender (This is important. You don’t want any of the pink coloring to leak into your greeny/blue mixture)
(3) Add all of the ingredients for the GREENY/BLUE part of the drink and blend on high
**If the pink and/or green/blue mix seem a bit watery, stick in the freezer for a few minutes. The more frozen your two colors are, the better for layering!
(4) Fill another glass a little more than halfway with the PINK mixture, then slowly pour a layer of the greeny/blue to the top
(5) Using a chopstick or straw, push the green/blue layer down along the sides of the glass to create a “streaky” look in the layers; I also lightly stirred the top layer to create a swirl throughout the entire drink
(6) Add a little more of the PINK to the top
(7) WHIPPED COCONUT TOPPING:
Take your can of refrigerated organic full fat coconut milk overnight and scoop the layer of thick solid cream from the top, add 1/2 TBSP to 1 TBSP of organic pure maple syrup (this is optional), then use a hand mixer or a KitchenAid to whip on high until fluffy
(8) That’s it! Add your homemade coconut whipped cream to the top (I also shaved some raw beets on top) and ENJOY!
I’m not going to say that this healthier version of the Starbucks Unicorn Frappe is something you should consume all the time, because, honestly, despite being filled with only NATURAL sugars, it still has sugar… at least a lot more than I typically consume (in fact, I rarely – if ever – use any fruits in my smoothies aside from blueberries or blackberries, due to their lower glycemic index). THAT SAID, this Superfood Unicorn Frappe is definitely JAM-PACKED with tons of REAL FOOD and healthy goodness with its superfoods and healthy fats (thank you, coconut oil & avocado). On top of that, it tastes amazing + it is pretty to look at.
SUPERFOODS // INGREDIENTS OVERVIEW: (Thanks to Dr. Axe!)
*Note: I am NOT a doctor or dietician. I just LOVE real foods & have seen how eating real things has changed my body/life/well-being. ALWAYS research on your own and determine what is best for YOU & YOUR body. It’s also good to chat with your doctor before introducing anything super different/crazy into your diet, because you never know what may or may not react with certain medications and health conditions!
(1) Raspberries, Blackberries and Blueberries: All three are rich in antioxidants & Vitamins C (the dark color of blackberries makes them one of the highest level of antioxidant fruits ever)
(2) Beet(s): High antioxidant levels, supports overall heart health, aids with inflammation, boosts endurance/muscle recovery, & contains anti-aging properties, great food to balance pH level and alkalize the overall body; great source of folate &manganese
(3) Cauliflower: Super rich in phytochemicals, highly anti-inflammatory, rich in vitamins C & K, said to reduce cancer risk and decrease the risk of brain/heart diseases, improves digestion
(4) Collagen Peptides: Said to promote healthy joints, bones, nails & skin. I’ve been using Collagen Peptides daily in my Matcha or smoothies for about 5 months and I can tell a HUGE difference in my joints + nail/hair growth. You can learn about my favorite brand here >>
(5) Coconut Oil (Organic, Virgin): Excellent healthy fat! Also said to aid with digestion, can improve blood cholesterol levels, reduces inflammation, improves memory + energy, and tons more (LEARN MORE)
(6) Spirulina: Detoxes heavy metals & eliminates candida, said to help prevent cancer, lowers blood pressure & reduces cholesterol, boosts energy, aids with weight loss, plus it’s 60% protein and super high in A, K1, K2, B12