I am LOVING the colorful “unicorn food craze” that has made a splash on social media over the past few months! Having fun with food while showing off its natural God-created beauty is something I’ve grown to love so, so much (especially after a few years of my side hustle helping with a catering/restaurant business) – plus, what’s more fun than pink & purple GF toast?!
When Starbucks’ sparkly Unicorn Frappe broke the internet earlier this week, I was pumped to recreate a healthier, all natural version of the swirled pink/blue beauty… and I couldn’t be more thrilled with the tasty (and beautiful! and colorful!) results. Don’t let all the ingredients be a downer… it’s really easy once you throw everything in a blender – promise.
WHAT YOU NEED:
**All of these ingredients are optional, but definitely add extra punch & power (plus you can’t even taste the cauliflower – for reals.)
– 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond or coconut milk*,
– 1/4 of a frozen avocado
– 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
– 1/4 cup of frozen blackberries
– 1 TBSP of Spirulina (this is what’s going to give it the blueish/green color)**
– 2 ice cubes
*I used homemade almond milk, but my favorite brand of store bought almond milk is Califia Farms (unsweetened vanilla is perfect); if you use coconut milk, I would use organic canned, full fat (Native Forest or Thai Kitchen if I cannot find Native Forest)… be sure to shake well!
** The color of the green/blue changes quickly as the mixture sits, I had my drink on the counter for a while after creating my first batch and I think it went through 8-9 shades in an hour!
For the Coconut Whipped Cream Topping:
WHAT YOU DO:
(1) Combine all of the ingredients needed for the PINK and blend on high, until smooth
(2) Rinse out your blender (This is important. You don’t want any of the pink coloring to leak into your greeny/blue mixture)
(3) Add all of the ingredients for the GREENY/BLUE part of the drink and blend on high
(4) Fill another glass a little more than halfway with the PINK mixture, then slowly pour a layer of the greeny/blue to the top
(5) Using a chopstick or straw, push the green/blue layer down along the sides of the glass to create a “streaky” look in the layers; I also lightly stirred the top layer to create a swirl throughout the entire drink
(6) Add a little more of the PINK to the top
(7) WHIPPED COCONUT TOPPING:
(8) That’s it! Add your homemade coconut whipped cream to the top (I also shaved some raw beets on top) and ENJOY!
I’m not going to say that this healthier version of the Starbucks Unicorn Frappe is something you should consume all the time, because, honestly, despite being filled with only NATURAL sugars, it still has sugar… at least a lot more than I typically consume (in fact, I rarely – if ever – use any fruits in my smoothies aside from blueberries or blackberries, due to their lower glycemic index). THAT SAID, this Superfood Unicorn Frappe is definitely JAM-PACKED with tons of REAL FOOD and healthy goodness with its superfoods and healthy fats (thank you, coconut oil & avocado). On top of that, it tastes amazing + it is pretty to look at.
SUPERFOODS // INGREDIENTS OVERVIEW: (Thanks to Dr. Axe!)
(2) Beet(s): High antioxidant levels, supports overall heart health, aids with inflammation, boosts endurance/muscle recovery, & contains anti-aging properties, great food to balance pH level and alkalize the overall body; great source of folate &manganese
(3) Cauliflower: Super rich in phytochemicals, highly anti-inflammatory, rich in vitamins C & K, said to reduce cancer risk and decrease the risk of brain/heart diseases, improves digestion
(4) Collagen Peptides: Said to promote healthy joints, bones, nails & skin. I’ve been using Collagen Peptides daily in my Matcha or smoothies for about 5 months and I can tell a HUGE difference in my joints + nail/hair growth. You can learn about my favorite brand here >>
(5) Coconut Oil (Organic, Virgin): Excellent healthy fat! Also said to aid with digestion, can improve blood cholesterol levels, reduces inflammation, improves memory + energy, and tons more (LEARN MORE)
(6) Spirulina: Detoxes heavy metals & eliminates candida, said to help prevent cancer, lowers blood pressure & reduces cholesterol, boosts energy, aids with weight loss, plus it’s 60% protein and super high in A, K1, K2, B12
Give me plane tickets for a last minute weekend away over a monthly payment for a shiny new car, a too-big-for-us-anyway house, or a new wardrobe any day. Especially when those tickets are to the city that breathes creativity and exudes inspiration in a way that only a concrete jungle of its magnitude can do
Choosing spontaneity, adventure and experiences over things has become the rhythm of our “life drum” over the past two and years… and I love it. Living more simply on the day-to-day might make it challenging to “keep up with the Jones'”, but if I’m being perfectly honest? I really don’t want to keep up with them… it’s too normal! Too predictable. Too exhausting. And not worth it (at least not to me, not anymore). A few years ago it mattered on some level, but now? No, not really. Adventures > Normal Jones-ish Living.
Don’t get me wrong: I love a gorgeous handbag, amazing pair of jeans & new shoes just as much as the next woman… but I’m realizing that I experience Love and Life the most in DOING rather than HAVING. This is certainly a shift in many ways… I don’t know if the shift is attributed to all the “hard” we were pulled through in the past few years, a result of getting older, or something deeper… whatever it is, it’s happened and I’ve become more aware of the importance of recognizing it.
In the end, it will be the richly colored memories that radiated Love, brought forth Life & allowed us to experience God’s perfect beauty that matter the very most. These moments & experiences & choices for adventure will equate to SO MUCH MORE than hoards of “stuff” piled up in our future basement or attic or storage shed or garage (At least I’m pretty sure they will!).
All of this (^ and THIS SUNSET!!) is why we booked a trip to NYC at 10 AM this past Saturday and were on a plane in less than two hours for a less than 48-hour visit. Because we are realizing that memories matter more than “stuff”. That when your heart is missing… craving… the vibrancy that can only be found in The City, you listen. That no amount of house or car or designer inspired fashion can ever replace soaking in ALL that is Central Park on an October Saturday, or witnessing a Love Painting light up the NYC skyline. And to me, ALL OF THIS (and tons more) makes not keeping up with the Jones’ or following the”normal trajectory” of what life at age 28/29 “should” look like 100% worth it (and then some!).
(Also, hi! I I clearly have not updated with anything or posted any recent photography sessions. This is mostly because I’ve been doing many things… but also largely because I’ve needed some quiet months to process and read and pray and think and walk through lots of life. I’ve found it’s best to be quiet and listen in these chapters… at least for me. So that’s where I’ve been for a while =))